I had never laid eyes on Shibori Ribbon before out host Tanya Goodwin of a Work in Progress posted that she wanted to do a blog hop with this newly discovered stringing material. But once I saw it I knew I was seriously smitten. So I asked to join in. And lucky me, I was one of the folks chosen.
Tanya sent each of us a piece of shibori ribbon about 9 inches long. Here is what mine looked like before I went to work.
I began by cutting a 2 1/2 inch piece off the end. I did not want to cut the ribbon in half since I was not certain of exactly what I would make.
My first idea was to bead embroider a small oval of the ribbon and use it in one of my handmade bezels
I needed to refresh my bead embroidery skills and reached for my Robin Atkins One bead at a Time book that had been such a help to me when I participated in her Bead Journal project. I cut out an oval in ultra suede and basted the ribbon piece to the ultra suede with a piece of parchment paper underneath to help stablizie the silk and ultrasuede. This "sandwish" worked well. I began by affixing one of my handmade stoneware ceramic beads to the oval and then began to free form bead embroider around it and elsewhere until I felt the piece was finished. Later I realized I might have left more of the ribbon unbeaded to show off the silk better. Below is a picture of the back of the bead embroidery showing my stitch work and the paper used to stabilize it. Not very pretty but I thought it would be informative.
backside of the bead embroidery showing paper used to stabilize the stitches and reduce puckering
Front side of the bead embroidery
Once I had the bead embroidery done
I had to put an edging around it that would hold all the pieces of that original sandwich together. I tried several sizes and stitches with seed beads but they didn't look right. Then I had the great idea to stitch some of the colored ball chain I had just purchased from Ornamentea. The stitching on of the ball chain went along quite well. Even when I cut the chain, it could still get the loose ball to fit in well. Luckily the cloth pendant was flexible and I was able to get everything into the bezel
Bead embroidery on Shibori Silk fitted into the bezel
Then I drilled the stringing hole and finally glued the pendant into the bezel with E6000 glue.
Next step was to decide how to string the bezel. In the end I chose a long strand of antiqued brass very small ball chain.
Since I had quite a bit of ribbon left I decided to make a necklace with it. First I tied about a 1/4 inch of the ends with some waxed linen and slipped them into some brass cord ends --also from Ornamentea-- which I had already filled it up with glue. The waxed lined cord around the ribbon was enough to fill up the cord end and it was easy to make a secure and attractive fit.
Then for stringing the ribbon: I decided on a small gauge antiqued copper chain with a few colorful jump rings attached to the cord ends and one of my own toggle clasps.
I hung 3 of my handmade ceramic charms from the ribbon. The suppleness of the Shibori ribbon was a boon to them falling nicely .
Thank you Tanya for this wonderful opportunity to try out Shibori Ribbon. I am looking forward to trying it out in a bracelet in the near future. The other participants in this blog hop are listed below. Enjoy some great eye candy!!
Mary you are here